Citrus season

Of course, it's entirely possible that you have forgotten me by now. While not posting is no new occurrence around here, this time around, I guess I missed it.


So while going through the lot of recipes on this space, you know what I realised? I don't have a single savoury recipe posted out here. Well, technically speaking, the citrus rice this post is about isn't entirely savoury, but its a long way from figuring in the dessert section of any menu. Apart from that it is one of the easiest, tastiest, freshest, rice recipe I know.  I don't know the origins of this recipe - I don't know where its traditionally from, or who gave this recipe, or who came up with it. Its been there in my Mom's recipe book for a long long time and I have been eating this for as long as I can remember.

When you have your friends over for dinner, you (and by you I mean me) want to serve food that's your favourite and what's not widely available (in my case I don't mind if its complicated to make. I know - I am an unconventional host)


This citrus rice is best served fresh - or about an hour or two (max) after it is made. But if you have your ingredients ready, you can make this about 10 mins before you serve dinner and no one will know you were actually making  dinner - yes, its that quick to make. (And because its so delicious - you forget how healthy it is.)



Since oranges are in season, this really is the right time to make it. I know, I know, this may not really be suited for the cold weather, it does make for a good lunch.

Citrus Rice

You need-

1 cup Basamati Rice - Cooked with salt
1/2 cup mint leaves - chopped
1/2 cup chopped dates
2 Oranges, peeled and seeded
1 cup chopped spring onion
1/2 cup French dressing


To make the Rice -

1. Prepare the French dressing - In a bowl, mix 1/2 cup oil (I used sunflower - use any that you prefer) with 2 tbsp vinegar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and 1/2 tsp freshly ground mustard powder - whisk till it comes together


2. Before serving, Take the cooked rice in a large bowl and add in the spring onion, dates and oranges. Then slowly pour the french dressing over, and stir the rice gently so it is evenly coated with the liquid.



 3. Garnish with a sprig of parsley or mint and serve.

Comments

Popular Posts