Mango kheer

You might think this is out of season, but before you start thinking of going in search of a more season friendly recipe, hear me out.


Alphonso Mango. The moment you see boxes of them every fruit stand every 500 meters, you know summer has started. Alphonso Mangoes are more popular in Maharashtra, and are considered some of the best among all the varieties. Mangoes are available for around 2 months, and for a long time Alphonso mango pulp was hard to come by. In the recent years, mango distributors themselves are canning the pulp so that it is now available throughout the year in local shops (by which I mean don't go looking for them in your supermarket). The canned mango pulp was quite a surprise - I was expecting something with mango essence and something too sweet. But this had those hints of Alphonso, and even though it is sweetened, the sugar wasn't overpowering.

You can do lots with mango pulp. And experiment. So I am sharing this recipe of a kheer. The recipe is my mom's. It is an adaptation of the classic sabudana kheer, a tapioca and milk pudding. Sabudana are those small pearly white opaque beads which turn translucent on cooking, and chewy. When I go to the market, I just look or ask for sabudana, so I am not sure what it is widely known as in English. From what I have read it's Pearl Tapioca or Pearl Sago.  I gather that sabudana is Pearl Sago which is similar to Pearl Tapioca.  I don't know the availability abroad, but sabudana is widely available in India. I am sure Indian speciality stores abroad will also have it.




Mango kheer
Adapted from Mom and this recipe here

You need

½ cup Sabudana (Sago or Tapioca pearls): soaked in little water for 30 minutes, drain any excess before use
1 cup Mango Pulp (use canned or fresh)
½ cup powdered sugar
½ litre milk, boiled
A few threads of saffron

Serves 2

To make the kheer:

1.  In a heavy bottom pan, boil the soaked sabudana in 1 cup water till it's transparent.

2. Add to this the hot milk and keep stirring till the mixture starts thickening. This takes about 5-10 minutes.



3. Add the saffron and the sugar and cook for about a minute.

4. Cool the kheer for about 10 minutes and then add the mango pulp.  Serve this at room temperature or chilled.

Comments

Popular Posts