Banana Cupakes

I think I have acquired an obsession. A very 'fruity' one at that (Wodehouse fans, I mean it literally, though it may seem otherwise). Its always Mango this and Cherry that, for the past couple of months. I also think I have decided to try out every banana bread/cake/muffin/cupcake recipe there is. I want to immediately try every new on that comes my way (trust me, there are more on my list). I think by now I have fed almost everyone I know with variations of Banana Cake.



So what is it that I like about these banana cakes anyway? I can make them anytime. I almost always have the ingredients - butter, sugar, ripe bananas. Also, bananas are naturally sweet and they sort of caramelize and blend seamlessly when baked (or cooked) and the caramel flavour that they render to your final product is extraordinary.

I almost never (ever) plan making a Banana Cake. And if I do, I almost certainly end up making  cupcakes - they are easier to eat you see - no cutting, no cooling - pull it straight out your oven and... no wait. Don't do what I do (Cooling a cake is my  weakness - I just cannot wait).  Let them cool first. Or you will not be able to discern each flavour right, appreciate the fruity sweetness - STOP. This is cake, not wine.
These actually started of as Banana and Chocolate Cupcakes. I slashed off the chocolate icing, nevertheless they were great. But I felt the chocolate icing would be too fancy (and I had no unsalted butter in anycase).

Banana Cupcakes
adapted from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook

You need
80 gm unsalted, soft butter
120 gm plain flour
110 gm caster sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
Salt - pinch
120 ml milk
2 eggs
3 medium ripe bananas

1. Preheat the oven to a 170 deg C (about 325 deg F)
2. In a bowl, put the butter, sugar, flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. If you have the time (or an inclination) sieve the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix these till you get a wet sand like consistency.
3. Add the milk slowly, until you get a nice even and smooth mixture. Then add the eggs, and beat well.

The Batter
4. Add the mashed bananas and stir until evenly dispersed
Add mashed bananas
5. Spoon the batter into prepared muffin tin/paper cases. Do not fill the cases completely - or the batter might overflow.
Ready to bake

6. Bake them in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the sponge is golden on top and a cake skewer comes out clean.

Comments

Popular Posts