Kairee Panha - Saffron Flavoured Raw Mango Drink


Summer is here. Rather summer has been here for more than a month now, and I have been exploring the 'fruits' of the season. Or rather 'fruit' of the season. The King of all fruits (as taught in Kindergarden) - Mango. I would really love it if we got the 'classic' summer fruits here (to make classic 'summer' recipes; very English I know): berry, berry, berry. But the only fresh berries I get here are stawberries and mulberries, and that too in spring. I have to make peace with jams and preserves and crushes after that, but I am not complaining (except maybe for raspberries, blueberries...). Summer, thats for the mango. I wrote about the mango last year, and this year decided to take my explorations further.



A favourite drink (and I mean favourite) for the summer is the 'Panha' or (Aam) Panna. I would go as far as saying it rivals the ubiquitous lemonade (not in my mind though, there they are both equal). It is made by steaming raw mangoes and extracting the pulp. Add sugar, flavourings, and that's it, it's ready. You can store it in the refrigerator for 2 weeks and use as needed.

To make the Mixture you will need -
Marathi - Kairee Panha कैरी पन्ह
Hindi - Aam Pannaa आम पन्ना

1 very large raw mango
6-8 tbsp of granulated white sugar or jaggery  
A pinch of saffron
1/2 tsp cardamom powder

For the drink you will need -
Ice cubes
Water

Making it -
1. Steam the raw mango for 15 mins.  The mango should become completely soft.
2. Extract the pulp into a glass or a plastic bowl and stir it until it becomes a smooth mixture.


3. Add the sugar and stir until it dissolves (taste after you add 6 tbsps, it might me sweet enough for you, if not add additional sugar)
4. Add saffron and the cardamom powder and cover the bowl to store it.


5. To make the drink -
Add a tabelspoon of the mango pulp to a glass and add ice cubes. Top it off with water and serve.
Note - If you do not like the pulp, strain the drink into another glass.

Comments

Popular Posts